Tuesday, May 28

If I never see "3:30 a.m." again...



I’m back from a whirlwind week and a half. I accounted my journey of house-sitting in the last blog post and promised a detailing of “living out of my car” this time. However, that will have to wait, because I just passed a long holiday weekend living out of my suitcase.
      My boyfriend got a job with John Deere in Iowa and I promised to help him move. So he picked me up in a Uhaul truck towing his little car behind (super romantic, huh?) We headed off on the first leg of our journey, stopping at my uncle’s house in Lowell, AR. I don’t know if any of you have ever tried moving like that, but before you consider it, don’t. It was a very tiring trip! But we made it to Lowell with no problems and very little rain and more than a little stiffness. My aunt and uncle took us to feed their horses (which were gorgeous! I wish I had taken pictures, but I left my camera at the house) then on to dinner at a place called Smokin’ Joe’s.
Smokin' Joe's - Best. Barbeque. Evar.
Talk about good. Let me just throw out a shameless ad for this joint. The barbeque sauce is out of this world. I had a burger (I know, a sin in a ribhouse) but I tried the three kinds of barbeque sauce they make in house. Ah. Maz. Ing. If you ever drive through the Rogers/Lowell area, stop there. You owe it to yourself.


      The next leg of our journey began a mere 6 hours later as we dragged ourselves out of bed at 3:00 a.m. so we could hit the road by 3:30. This is another thing that I suggest you never do. My sweet, sweet uncle beat us out of bed and made egg sandwiches for our breakfast and that was probably the only thing that kept me going. The second day of travel is always the worst and we compounded it by getting up so early. However we made it to the apartment complex by 11:30 a.m. (an hour earlier than necessary!) and got the keys to the apartment. Now we have a Uhaul and an empty townhouse. So we unloaded half the truck and decided to stop to take a break.

Some mad unpacking skills.

We finally ordered a pizza for lunch, but as our luck had it, the movers arrived at the same time as the pizza and we didn’t get a chance to dig in until 4:30. By the end of the day, all the boxes and all the furniture was in the townhouse and we were two very tired people. Also we finally got to lose the Uhaul and drive around town like normal people in the car!
My hungry boyfriend putting away food.

      The next day we had a late start at Panera for breakfast and internet (and coffee for me, thank you) then got started unpacking. We unpacked most of the day and by the time we finished, the living room was nearly clear and we had enough dishes unpacked to make dinner instead of eating out.
      Monday, Memorial Day, was my last day in Des Moines. Well, I use the term “day” loosely, since I had to once again wake up at 3:30 a.m. and get in the car. I said goodbye and got in line in the airport. My flight to Dallas left at 6:00 a.m. (yet another thing that I urge you to not do. No flights before 8.) The flight was uneventful besides some mild turbulence and I landed in Dallas at 8:05. 

        DFW is a huge airport… It’s a good thing that I had a plan in mind, because I would have wandered all over that place and never found my flight. I hoped on the Skytrain and rode to another terminal and walked to my gate. An hour and a half later, I was in the air on my way to Longview. I fell asleep on that flight, but it was only a 35 minute flight so I didn’t get much napping in.
      My whirlwind weekend ended up in Denny’s for “brunch” at 11:00 a.m. after my parents picked me up from the Gregg County airport. I’m safely home and back in my own bed for like… four days. But I’m very happy for those few nights. Just don't wake me up at 3 am...
      Oh, and since I posted a picture of my feet last time while house sitting, here's a picture of my feet waiting in DFW!

No comments:

Post a Comment