Wednesday, May 22

Professional Nomadism



                Well, it's been a while. Let me update you on my life. I have decided to become a professional nomad. Just kidding. But that's what I feel like is happening to me right now, and let's be honest: it's equal parts thrilling and terrifying. Before moving on, let me clarify. A nomad is "A person with no fixed residence who roams about; a wanderer." Hey! That totally sounds like me! And there is a reason for that.
                This is my new life. I'm taking on "nomad-ism" or "couch-surfing" or "glorified hobo" or whatever else you want to call it. So far, it's been pretty awesome and I want to share the joys of my wanderings with you all (and maybe some pictures if I can ever get on that).
                This strange adventure started almost a week ago when my "housemate" and I agreed to house-sit for a couple going on vacation. They have a little dog, Griffin, (who is adorable, by the way) and wanted someone to keep him company. So we packed our bags and "moved in" last week. Again, I'll be honest with you all. My packing consisted of grabbing my dirty clothes hamper and doing laundry the first night we were there. So, yes, I was living, not out of my suitcase, but out of my hamper. As it turns out, they have a pool, so I really didn't need any clothes other than my swimsuit and shorts. Not quite, but that's how it felt.
                It's been a fantastic week. Our host family is generous and flexible and encouraged us to have people over to swim and cookout. So we did just that. Pool party! And that was the day that we "broke" the hot tub - a geyser erupted from the fountain and the tub drained. But we fixed it! And we had a quiet game night, I made Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup and my housemate enjoyed getting a tan (that just isn't fair, I only got a lobster-burn out of this deal!)


 These are my feet, enjoying the sun :) and that's the geyser....

                But now the week is drawing to a close. So now I'm reflecting on our week in someone else's house and also considering what my immediate future holds. I'll have one night at "home" before leaving for a four-day trip to Iowa. Once I get back, I'll have five days before moving yet again to a new house-sitting stint. This one will be considerably longer. I'll move in at the beginning of June and stay 3 weeks (broken up in the middle by a trip to Oklahoma). Honestly, I'm just living one week at a time. Like I said earlier, that's equally exciting and frightening. I'll keep you updated on my travels, my life, and my experiences with living out of my car.
                Speaking of living out of my car, I have developed a new system to do so and that is going to be the topic of my next blog post! I call it "The Ultimate 20-Somthing's Guide to Living out of Your Car". Mouthful, eh? Until next time, readers.
                - The Unintentional Ninja

No comments:

Post a Comment